I have come to realize that I am a big fan of camera movement that is involved in dance sequences. I love the sweeping shots that really pull you into the rhythm and motion of the dancers. Music videos are a great place to work with this type of movement since dance can be an important part in them. In OneRepublic's "All The Right Moves" music video the camera rarely is still. It really goes along with the music in the video as well as the ballroom type dancing going on as well. I think the movement emphasizes the beat and sort of classical nature of the song. Also, toward the end of the song the beat is stronger and the camera moves faster. Around 3:27 the camera makes a sweeping motion around a pair of dancers as they twirl around the floor. The camera and its operator become dancers themselves here and it is a beautifully executed move. I haven't really thought about it before, but it does take a lot of skill in many areas to fluidly pull off a lot of these shots.
MuteMath - "Typical"
It might be cheating a little bit, but I feel like it's not just about the choice to move the camera. In the linked video the choice was to keep the camera completely still for most of the video except for a few slow zooms, pans, and tilts. It is a creative choice about movement. For this video it works great though because the stillness of the camera makes it objective and emphasizes the bizarreness of the action in front of it. The band created the movement in the scene mostly on their own by disappearing on and off screen and moving away and toward the camera.
Tiziano Ferro - "Sere Nere"
There is not a whole lot of movement in this music video. However, many of the shots were handheld that could have been shot easily with a tripod to stabilize them. Having a bunch of otherwise static shots that are noticeably shaky give the video a more rustic, earthy quality. The content of the song is also brought out in this choice. He is singing about being unable to be with the person he loves (very broadly, translation is hard to do since a lot of his lyrics are strange and sometimes riddles even to native Italian speakers.. but very, very pretty and touching nonetheless.. but I digress.) and so instability of the camera reflects his own emotions of being out of balance and lost.
Tiziano Ferro - "Non Me Lo So Spiegare"
I like how this one contrasts the other video from Tiziano above. It is simple, but the fluid movement of the camera revolving around the car resembling the passage of time and 'cycle' of life is a elegant way of telling a story.
No comments:
Post a Comment